2008/09/21

Queer music?

Why I love Robbie Williams

Okay, who knew this was gonna be the topic/impetus for my first *real* post on this blog? Not me.

I'm a creature of habit and sloth, but I'm also someone who aspires to be creative... and although I can be ordered to be creative -- I have worked at many newspaper/magazine/contract jobs in the past, all with deadlines -- but in order to REALLY be creative, I need *inspiration*. I try to kid myself that I am creative when I write, so bear with me, here... :p

Well, I was lying here 3/4 asleep with my computer on 'mix', and 'repeat', playing iTunes songs as I dozed, and Robbie Williams' song "Angels" came on. Now, I have ALWAYS had a 'thing' for Williams, since I first ran across his music a few years ago (more on that, in a bit). Well, in my almost-sleep, I recognized it as the version that has a "glitch" on it, and ends up "garbled" toward the end -- it was originally re-recorded off the only copy I had of it, from a tape-recording off the radio. (Stop laughing.) For *whatever* reason, I still had that version on my iTunes, as well as newer version, which is clear and clean, but it was the "old" version that was playing, and that's what dragged me up from the Land of Nod... I wanted to hear the *good* version.

(And yes, I DO still have other "crappy" versions of songs that I have not yet been able to replace via Limewire/Poison, etc. -- fuck the US government; P2P sharing like that is NOT yet illegal where I live, in Canada.)

Anyway, I fought my way back to consciousness, and sat up to change the version of the tune, and then -- as I gradually woke up more -- I realized that I had been woken up by Robbie Williams (which made me smile).

Now, I have been party to Fer's -- my good friend 'Feral', of Feral's Treehouse fame -- admonitions for some time about how any good queer should support good, 'out' queer artists (which I try to do; I luv Jay Brannan!) and eschew closet cases, or those we suspect of being closet cases. And while I agree with him intellectually, that does not (and cannot) negate the fact that I like what I like, in terms of music -- and my taste in music tends to be wildly eclectic, from Gilbert & Sullivan, to Waylon Jennings, to Paul Robeson, to the (Soviet) Red Army Choir -- I LOVE their (voice) version of the old Soviet national anthem -- to kd lang, to Harry Lauder, to William S. Burroughs' and Utah Phillips' spoken-word stuff, to Johnny McGovern to... well, you get the point.

And I agree with Fer's point about the wisdom of listening to openly gay artists, and the subsequent sense of freedom and self-awareness that comes from listening to songs where you don't have to automatically mentally "translate" whenever you hear a guy singing about "her", or a gal singing about "him". It IS liberating to hear someone like Rufus, or Jay, or kd singing openly and proudly about their feelings of love and longing for someone of their own gender. But the what of all the OTHER songs I love, and have listened to, whilst growing up? Is Elton John's "Crocodile Rock" or Dusty Springfield's "Son of a Preacher Man" off my list, because they were each in the closet when they recorded them? Pish. Don't be silly. A good tune is a good tune. Hell, I still listen to a variety of George Michael tunes, and I don't give a damn if I get sneered at by straights OR queers because of that.

Now, one can make the argument that Elton and kd were singing (and writing) back in the "dark ages" just as Cole Porter and Noel Coward were, and so special dispensation can be made for them, as distinct from current-day artists who are (or whom we *suspect* are) queer, such as Mica or Robbie Williams. Maybe so. But while I am a proud fan of folks like Rufus or kd, I have never been an absolutist -- at least in part because there is so much heteronormitave music out there, and I am not necessarily familiar with all the queer music out there. And also in part because I simply don't *care* for some queer music. But also because I DO love some good (even great) music made by straights -- and closet cases.

Does that make me an "assimilationist"? -- not an argument Fer has ever made, BTW... No, I don't think so. I can listen to The Commitments' version of "Dark End Of The Street" and appreciate it in an entirely queer manner, while the fellow across the table from me can appreciate it in an entirely "het" fashion, and it's *still* a great tune. Granted, that same fellow can't listen to Johnny McGovern's "Soccer Practice" or Jay Brannan's "Ever After Happily" and EVER succeed in hearing it as anything *other* than a queer tune, but so what? They got to pretend for all these years that so many of our People were their People, so they're gonna have to learn to make some adjustments in their perceptions. Suck it.

So yeah, I listen to Robbie warbling about chycks in "Angels", even though I *suspect* that he's a total $3 bill. But even if he's not, so what? I love the tune.

3 comments:

Feral said...

Want to know why I've never made the argument that you were an assimilationist? It would be because you aren't one, Sweetie. Why would I argue something that isn't so?

Good music is good music... and who doesn't like good music?

I wouldn't ever want to suggest that someone ignore an otherwise talented artist because they were straight. I would, however, immediately suggest that someone look to see... just give it a shot... if there isn't also some Gay music that might tickle your fancy.

There's this thing, perhaps you've heard it. It goes, "Oh, I like all music."

Have you considered how unlikely a proposition that is... liking "all music?" Anyway... get one of these "all music" lovers embroiled in conversation (because, who doesn't like talking about music) and you quickly find out that "all music" doesn't ever mean "all" music.

I wouldn't suggest that anyone listen to "just" Gay music. Egad! I'd perish with a diet of that much folk music. There's only so much pretty-tun-warbling a fellow can stand. Neither do I recommend that anyone listen to "just" straight music... and that's what the phrase "all music" pretty much always boils down to. Straight music just isn't about you; Gay music is (by happy coincidence).

So... yeah... you should give it a listen from time to time. You might even have to look for it, which is where this "out" business comes in. How... really... is one to tell whether music is straight or Gay? If a singer is Gay, but not out... yeah, sure... you'll probably be picking up the gaydar vibe anyway. Still, not all of us have such finely-tuned gaydar. Oh no... the only sure way to tell Gay music from straight music would be that "out" business.

Now... yes... there are some closet cases out there. I'm more than half cool with that... not three-quarters cool, but more than half. Thing is, closet cases just don't get to whine about how they don't have some huge, loyal Gay fan base.

I asked the spousal-unit awhile back: "how many 'mos makes a Gay band?"

He snorted. "Do they let him sing? If they let him sing, only one."

And it's true... just like those Gay football and rugby and hockey leagues. Not one of them prohibits straights... not one. There are straight athletes at the Gay Games (the Gay Games wouldn't have it any other way).

It's a funny thing... let the 'mos in on the game, and suddenly it's a "gay game." Let the 'mo sing, and heavens help us if he sings about his own experience, and *bam* it's a Gay band.

Oddly, when you expurgate all the 'mos... then it gets the sobriquet of "all music."

Yeah... whatever. "All music" isn't, and hasn't ever been, about us. Gay music... that is, and always has been, about us.

And I think you should listen to what you like to listen to. I do. It's not like I say "Ewwww... straight boy singing... away with you!" I don't. I listen to what I like.

Separatism... that's not running away from straight people. It's running toward Gay people. Assimilationism... that's some malicious shit. You should hear (I imagine you already do) some of the astonishingly cruel things assimilationists say about straight people.

'berto said...

quote: "I asked the spousal-unit awhile back: "how many 'mos makes a Gay band?"

He snorted. "Do they let him sing? If they let him sing, only one."" /quote

So....does that make 'Queen' a queer band 'coz of Freddie, even though he was closeted?

Feral said...

"So....does that make 'Queen' a queer band 'coz of Freddie, even though he was closeted?"

By the simplest interpretation, oh yes. In the same way, Styx was never a Gay band because... as much fun as bass players are (and I can tell you... there's just something about bass players) they just don't usually get to sing.

"The Closet" is a fairly complex phenomenon. Folks use the word to mean something quite different today than they did in years passed. If you're a closeted singer, and if you're doing that "closet" thing with any skill at all, then no one can tell that you're Gay. This would extend even to having no "Gay sensibility" in one's songs.

"Closeted" Gay music is not "gay" because "closeted" and "gay" are mutually exclusive. You cannot successfully conceal a thing and yet, at the same time, display the thing which is concealed. You must deny one to accomplish the other.

So... this "closeted" thing... some might argue that Mr. Mercury wasn't all that closeted... all the folks that had sex with him, for example.